SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - One Shasta County man has been sentenced to life in prison for the torture of his infant son.
According to investigators, Michael Salvadore Pappalardo confessed to the mother of his child that he had been pinching, squeezing and pulling on their son for his whole eight-month life.
Officials say Pappalardo described "having an uncontrollable urge to cause their son pain".
Redding Police got an additional confession from the mother, then the child was evaluated for signs of abuse.
The evaluation included a consultation at UC Davis, where officials say there were fractures to the child's ribs and wrist which were difficult to detect due to the child being so young.
Shasta County District Attorney says Pappalardo plead to the charge of torture. During sentencing, the judge said probation was not an option, noting the "extreme vulnerability" of the child and "merciless" actions done.
Pappalardo was given the maximum sentence and will be eligible for a parole hearing after serving seven years.
- Shasta County DA: Man sentenced to life for torture of infant son
- Shasta County DA: Kidnapping convict sentenced to 11 years
- Shasta County DA addresses phone scams
- Riverside County couple sentenced for torturing their children
- Shasta County DA files additional criminal charges against Redding doctor
- Shasta County DA says officer-involved shooting justified
- Shasta County health officials confirm measles case in infant
- Shasta County suspect pleads to abusing girlfriend and infant
- DNA Ties Son with Chico Mother’s Murder: Butte DA
- Manhunt underway for suspected murderer of former DA's son