SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - Samuel Scholfield, 18, of Cottonwood, is being arraigned Tuesday on 54 counts alleging first-degree murder, attempted murder and numerous arson charges.
Some of the alleged arsons committed were done during the state of emergency declared due to the Carr Fire.
Multiple fires were set throughout Cottonwood and Anderson between July 27 and Oct. 26, which burned homes and vegetation.
On Oct. 7, Scholfield is accused of burning a home which killed 86-year-old Barcie Arlene Miller of Cottonwood.
Law enforcement conducted a traffic stop as Scholfield was leaving his last arson fire on the morning of Oct. 26. He was the sole occupants of the vehicle and officers found two incendiary devices in his front seat. A cell phone search revealed that he had been searching the internet for arson and arson investigation related material.
Scholfield will be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
- Shasta County Arson Suspect Arraigned Tuesday
- Arraignment for Zucker Murder Suspect
- Arson Suspects Arrested in Placer County
- Shasta County DA: Man found guilty of arson
- Suspect Arraigned, Victim Identified in Corning Murder Case
- Manhunt underway for Shasta County shooting suspect
- Shasta County Sheriff's deputies arrest shooting suspect
- Shasta County deputies arrest robbery suspect
- UPDATE: Redding Police Locate Possible Arson Suspect
- Cottonwood Residents Relieved After Arson Suspect Arrested