Chico, Calif. -- Chico State has a busy summer ahead of itself. There are several construction projects underway, including a new residence hall, parking structure and a brand new science building.
The College Park homes demolition will start on July 12th.
Chico state owns 18 of the homes in the neighborhood. Only nine homes will be demolished because that is what they were approved to do through the California Environmental Quality Act.
Chico State will have to do another environmental assessment before they continue to demolish more homes.
There are three homes in the demolition area the university still hasn't purchased, but is looking to do so.
Ultimately, the master plan is to have a brand new residence hall and parking structure.
"It's a two-year process to do the whole master plan, by the end of it, perhaps it could say we would maybe do a different building on that site, but for all intents and purposes at this point, our old master plan is that is the site of a residence hall," said Mike Guzzi, Executive Director of Facilities Management and Services at Chico State.
Siskiyou Hall demolition will begin in June, and is expected to be finished by July 12th, after that, foundation work and vertical construction will begin.
The new science building will be finished by fall 2020.
The university is also doing some work on University Village on Nord Avenue.
"We're removing old siding that has termite damage and so forth. So we're removing and replacing that siding, painting that place, updating the smoke alarms and overall just giving it an entire facelift to the facility," said Guzzi.
FOLLOW LAURA ENG ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Several Construction Projects Underway at Chico State
- Construction underway at the Chico Skatepark
- Progress of Redding construction projects
- J Levee Construction Underway in Hamilton City
- FEMA housing project underway in Gridley
- Stillwater Project on SR-44 set for Construction
- Caltrans to resume construction on I-80 project
- Chico Project Save delivers worldwide
- Closure of Oro-Chico Highway for Construction
- Construction progress on New Chico VA