Photo Gallery 16 Images
CHICO, Calif. - Climate change and Medicare for all were the hot topics during Sen. Bernie Sanders' visit to the North State Thursday.
Sen. Sanders started his trip to the North State Thursday by visiting Paradise, where he toured the damage from the Camp Fire – the worst wildfire in state history. Then, he traveled to the Chico Masonic Family Center, where he held a town hall.
While touring Paradise, Sanders warned that without dramatic action, the scenario will continue to play out around the world.
"We need bold and aggressive action on climate change, which is the common enemy not just for the United States, but for counties all over the world and this is a crisis that the United States alone cannot solve," he said.
Earlier Thursday, Sanders added progressive meat to the bones of the Green New Deal with the release of his comprehensive $16.3 trillion climate change program.
Sanders' prime targets include meeting the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's goal of 100% renewable energy for electricity and transportation by 2030; cutting domestic emissions by 71% over that period; creating a $526 billion electric "smart grid;" investing $200 billion in the Green Climate Fund; and prioritizing what activists call a "just transition" for fossil fuel workers who would be dislocated during the transition.
During the town hall, Sanders referenced tweaks to his signature healthcare proposal, Medicare For All, changing it to protect labor unions concerned that the proposal will prevent them from negotiating their insurance benefits.
Sanders' new provision would force companies with negotiated health plans to go back to the bargaining table with a goal of reaping better benefits and bigger wages.
Following the town hall in Chico, Sanders was heading to Sacramento for a rally at the Cesar Chavez Plaza at 6 p.m.
Sanders will then address the Democratic National Committee at its summer meeting in San Francisco on Friday before holding a town hall on college affordability and student debt.
Stay with Action News Now and actionnewsnow.com for updates.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders targets climate change, healthcare during North State visit
- The crowd reacts to Sen. Bernie Sanders' town hall
- Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders speaks in Chico
- Bernie Sanders launches second presidential campaign
- Senator Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run
- Bernie Sanders unveils comprehensive $16.3 trillion Green New Deal plan amid climate crisis
- Senator Bernie Sanders speaks on immigration reform in Chico
- California's Fourth Climate Change Assessment
- President Trump's Visit to the North State
- Senator Bernie Sanders will hold a town hall in Chico, Aug. 22