MAGALIA, Calif. – School is back in session for Paradise Unified School District.
Pine Ridge School, Cedarwood Elementary, and Ridgeview High School started school in Magalia.
Ridgeview High School students are temporarily located at Pine Ridge Elementary.
“Which includes our Ridgeview Rangers that go out and do all kinds of things in the community until we can go back and place them at Ponderosa which is still under construction and repair from the fire," Mike Greer the School Board President for Paradise Unified said.
Greer said Pine Ridge and Cedarwood were open last school year even after the Camp Fire.
Cathy Peppas who works at Cedarwood and whose granddaughter attends the school said even though they were open last year, this year is special.
“It feels way more normal and it is really so exciting because we weren’t sure how this was all going to shake out," Peppas said. "We didn't know if we were actually going to have enough families for our school district and students. So yeah, I teared up when I pulled into school today.”
A couple of the students at Cedarwood Elementary said they are excited to see their friends again.
Freya said she is excited about the new kids at the school.
“I am excited because we have new kids in our class, you can play with them more and you don’t know as much about them.”
Third-grader Khloe said her cousin was at the school for two years but now she is going to another school.
"I have another friend who is in a different third-grade class.”
Both of the schools were expecting about 250 students, but the school board staff said they will have a better idea next week of how many students are actually enrolled.
They also said they are very thankful for the bus drivers, teachers, and everyone making this school year possible for students.
- School is back in session for Paradise Unified School District
- Paradise Unified School District faces budget cuts
- Paradise Unified School District prepares for classes
- Paradise Unified School District watches forecast to determine school closures
- New facility upgrades coming to Paradise Unified School District
- Biggs Unified School District receives $9 million
- Chico Unified School District among 3 CA districts suing 'Juul'
- Chico Unified School District’s New Online School
- Our Future After the Fire: The future of the Paradise Unified School District
- Chico Unified School District hosts workshop to combat vaping