Chico, Calif.-- The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is offering a free fishing day tomorrow across the state - and the North State offers some of the best fishing not just in California, but really across the country.
Saturday you don't need a sport fishing license anywhere in the state - so if you've never done it, this would be a good day to start!
Local pros say you don't need a boat - there are plenty of place like the Monument Hill Boat Launch on the Feather River Afterbay where you can cast a line right from the shore.
"If you're going to Lake Oroville ideally you want to go on a boat but you can do it from the bank, all you need is this, and one of these," said Jaime Sorensen, who owns North Valley Tackle in Oroville.
"If you're going to fish, start early, go home early, avoid all the congestion. Or, hang out all day on the beach over there!" said Sorensen.
You will need to fill out a report card if you plan to fish for Steelhead, Salmon or Sturgeon.
The Department of Fish and Wildlife will host some free clinics for beginners in some areas to learn all about the tricks of the trade.
We'll get some insider advice from the owner of North Valley Tackle in Oroville, Jaime Sorensen, this morning on Action News Now.
- Why You Should Take Part in Free Fishing Day
- Booze-Free Labor Day Floating
- A fish called Wakanda: New purple fish honors 'Black Panther'
- Free Adoption Day for Butte Humane Society
- Butte Regional Transit Offers Free Fare Day
- Officials cancel 2018 abalone fishing season
- Preparations Underway for Youth Fishing Event
- Feather River Fish Hatchery Ladder Opens Friday
- Dept. of Fish and Wildlife needs volunteers
- CHP fishes stolen car from Feather River