Glenn County, Calif.-- This week is the beginning of Salmon season in the Central Valley - and local fisherman say so far it has been phenomenal.
But there's a catch - literally; the government's placed a limit on inland Salmon fishing to restore the population.
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has set a cap at one fish per day, per person, saying salmon were over-fished last year.
But because fishing is so good outside the Golden Gate area, local fisherman say there are a lot more fish coming up the river than the government thinks.
"Its still going to be a good season, it's going to be harder for us to bring clients in from the LA area of out of state to bring them up for one fish, it puts a hurt on the economic part of it," said Seth Mitchell, Secretary for the Nor Cal Guides & Sportsmen's Association.
After the Oroville Dam Spillway Flood Crisis, the DWR had to drop the lake levels down so much and that it caused high river flows last Summer, so the Salmon all congregated in condensed areas.
That's why, according to the Nor Cal Guides and Sportsman's Association president, we saw the Salmon population so heavily fished last summer - the population isn't so much impacted by the gravel being swept away as the river levels afterward.
Some expert tips?
"Watch what the boats and ramps are doing if they're filling up, there's probably fish. Watch the river conditions, they're constantly changing, the river's going up and down constantly so watch out for the hazards out there. And you need to be respectful or everybody else out there," said Mitchell.
Salmon season lasts on the Sacramento River through December 15th, and the upper Feather River through October 15th.
- Salmon Season Now in Session for Sac, Feather Rivers
- Feather River Health Center Reopens
- Feather River drowning victim identified
- Feather River Flows Increase Until June
- Feather River Fish Hatchery Ladder Opens Friday
- CHP fishes stolen car from Feather River
- Salmon fishing season begins in Butte County
- Tug boats are moving from the Feather River
- Feather River Hospice Light Up A Life is Thursday
- Adventist Health Feather River top for pulmonary services