OROVILLE, Calif. - Authorities found a man from Roseville dead 200 feet underwater at Lake Oroville after a friend asked about his whereabouts, officials said.
According to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO), deputies got a call just before 3 a.m. from a boater saying her friend was nowhere to be found after he jumped into the water.
The BCSO Search and Rescue as well as the BCSO Marine Unit and State Parks searched the area as well as other houseboats, but still no luck.
When authorities deployed their sonar equipped remotely operated vehicle they found John Tobias, 41, of Roseville, 200 feet underwater and brought him back to the surface, said BCSO.
Tobias was pronounced dead at the scene.
The official cause of death was not released and there was no information about how long Tobias might have been underwater.
- Roseville Man Found Dead at Lake Oroville
- Roseville identity theft manhunt
- Lake Oroville Spillway Update
- Lake Oroville houseboats stuck ashore
- Lake Oroville Spillways Construction Update
- Dead body of Marysville man found in lake
- Man Found Dead in Shasta Lake ID’d: SCSO
- 1 Dead, 1 Injured After Vehicle Found 200' Down Embankment Near Lake Oroville and Forbestown
- Blue Green Algae Bloom Found in Lake Oroville
- Missing Redding Man Found Dead