CHICO, Calif. - The Playground and Park Commission in Chico may reopen roads in Upper Bidwell Park following a three-phase project to fix damage.
Tom Nickel, who works for the commission, said that there's a lot of areas of Upper Bidwell Park that have bee n damaged by erosion and weather.
"If we keep going in there and putting a band-aid on it, we're just wasting funding and time cause we're gonna be constantly doing it," he said. "So let's just get it done."
Nickel said this is a major, three-phase project.
The first phase will allow access for emergency vehicles only.
Linda Herman, manager of Park and Natural Resources, said that the funding for the first phase is set at around $35,000.
"Our consultant identified about 40 spots or cities along the road that need to be repaired, but there's like three critical ones that need repair like right away so the first phase is to repair those three critical ones and maybe a couple others just to access for emergency vehicle only," she said.
The second and third phase will need additional funding from the City Council for repairs to the end of the road.
"We will go to the council and ask for additional funding to do repairs from Horse Shoe Lake Road up to what we call Salmon Hole," she said. "So, right now, the diversion dam is where it's closed."
Herman said that they will access public access depending on how much they get done in repairs, and it will also pend approval from the City Council.
Currently, the estimate in repairs fo the four-mile stretch of road totals to $450,000.
- Roads in Upper Bidwell Park May Reopen to Vehicles
- Upper Bidwell Slowly Reopens After Stoney Fire
- Parts of South Upper Bidwell Park Reopened After Stoney Fire
- Parts of Upper Bidwell Park to reopen after Stoney Fire
- Weekend hikers enjoy newly reopened trails in upper Bidwell Park
- Bobcat sighting in Upper Bidwell Park
- Missing Upper Bidwell Park hiker found
- Parks commission to consider $1 parking fee for Upper Bidwell
- Firefighters Respond to Vegetation Fire in Upper Bidwell Park
- Hiker was injured on Monkey Face in upper Bidwell Park