BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - A road worker is recovering from majors injuries after being hit by an SUV in a Highway 70 construction zone.
The California Highway Patrol said the crash happened just before 8 p.m. Monday night, just east of Highway 284 near Chilcoot.
Investigators said Eugene Hill was driving under the influence when sped into a "cone zone" and hit an SUV in front of him.
The SUV then pushed into flagger Adrian Hill and sent him airborne into a ditch.
Hill was airlifted to the hospital.
The driver of the SUV was also injured. Hill was arrested for a felony DUI. '
The road was closed for nearly five hours while authorities worked to clear the roadway.
- Road worker struck, injured by SUV on Highway 70
- Motorcyclist injured in crash on Highway 70, Highway 149
- Marysville residents react to Highway 70 plans
- UPDATE: Funding Approved for Highway 70 Construction
- Highway 70 Intermittent Closures Through October
- CHP: Fatal Accident Off Highway 70
- Motorcyclist Killed in Highway 70 Collision
- More safety improvements to Highway 70
- Parts of Highway 70 closed for roadwork
- Suspects identified in deadly Highway 70 shooting