RIVERSIDE COUNTY, Calif. - The Riverside County couple who pleaded guilty to years of torture and abuse of 12 of their 13 children have been sentenced to life in prison with possibility of parole after 25 years.
David and Louise Turpin were sentenced Friday morning in an emotional hearing. Some of the children spoke publicly about the abuse for the first time during the sentencing hearing.
Both David and Louise Turpin could be seen wiping tears from their faces as they heard their childrens' statements in court.
Lousie Turpin said, "I'm sorry for everything I've done to hurt my children."
"I love my children so much," she continued, saying that she only wanted the best for them.
The sentencing came just over a year after the Turpins' 17-year-old daughter jumped out of a window of the family's squalid home and called 9-1-1.
Authorities say some of the children were chained to their beds , were starving and had not bathed in months.
- Riverside County couple sentenced for torturing their children
- Fairfield Father Charged with Torturing 10 Children
- Couple Pleads Not Guilty in Alleged Torture Case
- 7 People Wounded in Shooting at a Nightclub in Riverside
- Tulelake couple accused of keeping children in 'cages' will not face child endangerment charges
- Shasta County children's services programs changing
- Couple Pardoned after Camp Fire
- Lassen County poacher sentenced for killing raptors
- Authorities identified couple killed on motorcycle in Glenn County