UPDATE: Lockdown Lifted just before 6 p.m. tonight according to Redding Police
Buckeye School of Performing Arts was being evacuated after police responded to a suspicious device near the campus Thursday afternoon. According to Redding Police Department, a “suspicious device” was found behind a home near Hyatt Drive in North Redding around 2 p.m. Thursday afternoon. Rather than taking any chances, school officials and police opted to briefly lock down the school to access the situation then gave the evacuation order to the campus shortly thereafter.
Parents are still flowing in to pick up their children at this time. Police are asking parents to pick up their children on Lake Boulevard, west of the campus. Hyatt Drive is currently closed and Lake Boulevard is partially closed, north of Oasis Road.
Meanwhile, Redding Police Department bomb squad is on the scene to dispose of the device safely. This is the same area of Redding where a suspect was shot and killed by police earlier this week. There is no indication that these incidents are in any way connected.
Police officers said the investigation is ongoing.
- Evacuation at Redding school lifted after 'suspicious device' located nearby
- Mandatory evacuation orders lifted in Redding
- Suspicious device found near mailbox on Bechelli Lane in Redding
- Delta Fire: All Evacuations Lifted
- Stone Fire: Evacuation Warning Lifted
- Lockdown Lifted at Turtle Bay School After Report of Possible Gunman Nearby
- 'Act of Terror': Suspicious Devices Sent to Clintons, Obamas, CNN
- Wildfire evacuations lifted in Siskiyou County
- Carr Fire: Evacuations lifted in some areas
- Masonic Fire: 100 Percent Contained, Evacuations Lifted