REDDING, Calif. - Those in Redding rallied in support of their own star player Megan Rapinoe during the Women's World Cup.
Hundreds turned out for the blowout community watching party at the California Soccer Park.
Redding is full of soccer fans with about 2,000 kids who play that sport which makes for a built-in audience.
Others said it is not about the game but about the sense of community.
"We're really showing support for one of our own; from our community. This really creates a symbolism around what we want the world to be like and it's about that connection between each other, through soccer, and all the people that are gathered here," said a fan of soccer, Rachel Freemon Sowers.
Fans gathered for a big pancake breakfast to kick off the party which ended with a lot of excitement.
- Redding rallies behind Megan Rapinoe for Women's World Cup
- Redding native, Megan Rapinoe, leads US in World Cup win over Spain
- Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe Raises Money for Carr Fire Survivors
- Redding native Megan Rapinoe named Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the year
- US soccer star Megan Rapinoe says she's 'not going to the f*****g White House' if the women's team wins the World Cup
- U.S. wins Women's World Cup semifinal match against England
- Redding Goes Red for Women's Heart Health
- Hope for Women in Redding
- Women's March takes over Redding