Photo Gallery 1 Images
REDDING, Calif. - Redding Police say they arrested a man for the fourth time since November 2019 and say it is the struggle of the revolving jail door that forces the release of local offenders.
The fourth arrest happened on Feb. 21 when an officer was patrolling the area of Buenaventura Boulevard and Railroad Avenue and saw a car, recognized from prior contacts, parked near a gas station.
According to the officer, he knew the woman the car was registered to was on parole and had been connected to drug activity.
When the officer met with those in the car, he says he found Redding resident Michael Lopez Junior in the passenger seat, someone he also knew from prior arrests.
During a parole search of the car, officials say a large quantity of meth and drug paraphernalia was found in Lopez's possession. Lopez was then arrested and booked into the Shasta County Jail for sales of a controlled substance.
This is the fourth time since November Lopez has been arrested for possession of meth for sales.
On Nov. 12, he was arrested and released after eight hours in custody.
Following his second arrest on Jan. 27, he was released after only five hours. On Feb. 7, he was released after thirteen hours.
Once again, following the arrest on Feb. 21, he was released from the county jail after ten hours in custody.
Redding Police said the jail tries to keep serious offenders in custody but due to a completely or near full capacity, it is not uncommon for an arrest to "result in the forced release of another offender".
The department also shared the struggle to keep repeat offenders in custody enables suspected drug dealers like Lopez to "continue to push drugs out into the streets of Redding and the greater Shasta County area".
"[We] will continue to target and arrest suspected drug dealers," said the department.
- Redding man arrested for drug sales, fourth time since November
- Redding Gun And Drug Arrest
- Police: Man arrested on drug sales charges for second time in a week
- Redding Police uncover a home used for drug sales
- Redding Police: Suspected Drug Dealer Arrest
- Redding Police investigate drug homes, three arrested
- Police make several arrests after reports of drug sales in popular Redding park
- Red Bluff Drug Bust
- Man arrested for meth sales in Quincy
- Oroville Police arrest man for narcotic sales