REDDING, Calif. - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office arrested a man for reportedly assaulting his girlfriend at their home in Redding.
Deputies say the sister of the victim reported that Freddie Dean Cox, 47, was assaulting the victim. Cox reportedly fled the home when deputies arrived.
The victim told deputies she got into a fight with Cox in their RV trailer at around 5:33 p.m. Tuesday. Cox reportedly strangled the victim multiple times before she was able to kick him away. Deputies say Cox grabbed the victim's foot and twisted it. They say Cox grabbed a large butcher knife and held it to the victim's neck, threatening to kill her. The victim received injuries consistent with the reported assault.
Deputies say Cox returned to the home to harass the victim at 8:36 p.m. Tuesday. Deputies surrounded the trailer and called out to the victim and Cox on a Public Announcement system to exit the trailer. The victim exited the trailer alone.
Deputies then made numerous orders for Cox to exit the trailer. They say he ignored them for several minutes. Eventually, Cox opened the door of the trailer and stood in the doorway. They say Cox began flailing his arms and yelling at deputies, "What do you want? Go ahead, shoot me, go ahead and shoot me!" Numerous orders were given to Cox to exit the residence and lay on the ground, but Cox continued yelling at deputies to shoot him and refused to follow commands to exit the trailer. There were numerous items, inside and outside of the trailer and near Cox, which could be used as weapons. Shasta County Sheriff K-9 "Fritz" was deployed to apprehend Cox. Cox eventually complied with deputies orders and was taken into custody. A large butcher knife was located lying on the ground, underneath Cox, where he was handcuffed.
Cox was treated by medical staff on the scene and then transported to Mercy Hospital for treatment of his minor injuries received from the K-9. After treatment, he was transported to Shasta County Jail and booked on charges of Inflict Corporal Injury on a Spouse/Cohabitant, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Terrorist Threats, and Resisting/Obstructing a Peace Officer in the Discharge of their Duties. Cox is being held on $51,000.00 bail.
- Redding Man Arrested for Assault on Girlfriend, Stand-off With Deputies
- Police Arrest Redding Man Suspected of Severely Assaulting, Robbing Girlfriend
- Redding Police arrest man for threats to shoot girlfriend
- Homeless Redding man arrested for burning girlfriends clothes
- Redding man arrested for assaulting, threatening officers
- Redding hate crime & assault arrest
- Deputy Assaulted, Two Men Arrested in Magalia
- Redding masseuse arrested on sexual assault charges
- Redding Police arrest man for assault on an officer
- Redding Police: Florida man arrested following assault and hate crime