Community and religious leaders gathered in Redding to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King in a series of events Monday.
Easily over a hundred people attended several events and celebrated the life and teachings of Dr. King.
The day began at Redding's old courthouse for a bell ringing ceremony followed by a prayer circle in front of the Shasta County Courthouse.
After praying, many attendees made the close-to-a-mile march down the road to Redding's MLK Center where they ate lunch and discussed ways to implement Dr. Kings teachings.
“Talking to each other, having more conversations, talking about values things that we can do, things that Dr. King would like for us to do,” community activist Eddie McAllister said.
But there may still be some work before Dr. Kings dream is fully realized.
This year's MLK celebration came on the heels of alleged racist remarks from President Donald Trump regarding some African countries.
It was still a sensitive topic that some chose not to weigh in on.
“Well, I choose not to even comment on anything that Trump says,” McAllister said. “So I'm not even going to go into that.”
The President denies making the remarks.
But Redding mayor Kristen Schreder says national issues have a large impact on local community engagement.
“I think that when we look at our national conversations,” Schreder said. “Maybe that's allowing more people to think I need to do something at home and do something in my own community, and I hope that's true.”
McAllister says people need to speak out and try to educate others to understand viewpoints different from their own.
“You don't know me because you choose not to know me,” McAllister. “So we have to talk to each other and discuss and even people who are on the other side, kind of talk to them and share viewpoints so that's what we are doing today.”
- Redding community celebrates Martin Luther King Day
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King
- Chico Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is Sunday
- Voters decide against keeping Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
- Chico’s 36th annual celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Here's what you need to know about Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- You can celebrate Earth Day in Redding
- Damburger Celebrates 80 Years Serving the Redding Community
- Chico, Red Bluff communities celebrate National Night Out
- Community wide Arbor Day celebration was held in Oroville