REDDING, Calif. - The garage fire off of Mesa and Placer Streets on Friday afternoon was caused by spontaneous combustion from discarded rags, according to the Redding Fire Department.
Spontaneous combustion, better known as the ignition of organic matter, was blamed for damaging the workshop which was a converted garage, used in a painting business.
REDDING, Calif.—Redding firefighters are looking into what may have caused a fire that destroyed a garage just after noon Friday.
The fire happened on Mesa Street just off Placer Street.
Neighbors reported hearing a loud explosion just before the fire broke out.
When firefighters arrived on scene they found a detached garage fully engulfed in flames.
Chief Firefighter Gerry Gray said, “We did call a second alarm which is all available fire units, on duty fire units from the city of Redding. So it's a heavy commitment for us, but our firefighters knocked this fire down in a very quick amount of time.”
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Neighbors say that the man who lived in the house was a painter and used the space as a workshop to store materials.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your Fire Watch coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Update: Redding Garage Fire Ignited by Spontaneous Combustion
- Flat Tire Ignites Brush Fire in Redding: RFD
- Suicidal Man Ignites Fire at Canyon Road in Redding: RFD
- Man Cited for Allegedly Igniting Oregon Fire
- UPDATE: Butane Honey Oil Lab causes garage fire
- Homeless Camp Fire Ignites Near Chico Train Tracks
- Fire destroys a garage in Forbestown
- Greenwich Drive Fire Destroys Garage, 3 Vehicles
- UPDATE: Welding Causes Fire in Redding Dealership
- California gets ready to ignite cannabis culinary-arts scene