Redding, Calif -- “You know they practice those things but Wednesday was the test for the practice and they came through with flying colors.”
Those are the words of Gateway Unified School District superintendent Jim Harrell.
He says on Wednesday a teacher saw a suspicous man walking around campus carrying a bat.
That’s when she notified the principal who quickly put the school on lockdown and called police.
Officers say they found the man on the campus, but he ran away.
This began a pursuit that ended with two officers shooting at him across the street from the school.
for more information on this shooting click here
But it was what happened inside the classrooms, that kept students safe.
“They don’t really know what’s going on but she told me she had to duck down or something to that nature “
Eileen Young told Action News Now how her daughter, who’s in transitional kindergarten, was told to remain under her desk quietly.
From there she was put on a school bus an d a taken to Hilltop Drive where her mother could pick her up.
Young says she’s grateful the school kept continuous communication with the parents, and other parents we spoke with thought the same.
“To hear that someone was shot and there was gun fire going on to know that they were able to keep the kids safe, on lock down and then transported. so that was great.” Ligaya Gill.
The Superintendent adds after some reflection he 's happy with the schools performance.
“Pleased with how the staff and administration came together to ensure the safety of all the kids,” said Harrell.
- Redding School Lockdown Keeps Children Safe From Shooting
- Lockdown at Chico elementary school
- Redding School Recognized as Emotionally Safe
- Schools in Siskiyou County on Precautionary Lockdown
- Oroville High School Placed on Short Lockdown
- Update: Redding Police find missing man safe
- Lockdown lifted at Corning school after gunshots heard near campus
- Live Oak school goes on lockdown after staff hears gunshots
- UPDATE: Man Wielding Knife puts School on Lockdown
- False Reports of Man with Gun puts School on Lockdown