REDDING, Calif. - Redding Police arrested a man after he crashed into a power pole, causing a small fire while driving under the influence and Snapchatting.
Police said James Knapp, 21, was Snapchatting his girlfriend while driving at around 11:25 p.m. Thursday night. Police say Knapp crashed into a power pole at the intersection of Old Oregon Trail and Rancho Road. Officers arrived to find the power lines on top of Knapp's Nissan Murano, and a small vegetation fire started by the downed lines.
Officers said Knapp was taken into custody for driving while intoxicated and was already on probation for a prior DUI.
Redding Electric Utility (REU) responded to assist with the downed power lines. The vegetation fire was quickly extinguished. A dog was also rescued from the crushed Nissan and given to Shasta County Animal Control.
The Redding Police Department would like to remind citizens to use designated drivers when consuming alcohol and avoid the use of cell phones while driving.
- Redding Police: DUI suspect arrested after crashing into pole while Snap-chatting
- Suspected DUI Driver Rear-Ends Redding Police Car
- Redding Man Arrested for DUI Causing Injury
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- Suspected DUI driver involved in 2017 crash runs from Redding police
- Chico Police Arrest Hit and Run, DUI Suspect
- Chico police make DUI arrest after overnight crash
- Redding DUI Hit and Run
- Redding Police: Suspected Drug Dealer Arrest
- Suspects Arrested in Redding Police K-9 Poisoning