Redding Police say a man on probation was taken down by citizens near WinCo Foods in Redding, after a woman reported to police he stole her purse from her car and pushed her.
Police say at around 6:50 p.m. Monday, Haley Hunter, 22, of Shasta Lake, called to report an unknown man had stolen her purse out of her car at the Kinderland Child Development on Victor Avenue. Police say Hunter confronted the man, who allegedly pushed her away to escape.
Police said Hunter was able to track her stolen cellphone to the area of WinCo Foods on Old Alturas Road. The suspect, identified as Nicholas Williams, 28, of Redding was detained by other citizens until police arrived. Police say Willaims was in possession of some of Hunter's property, and was on active probation for escape.
Police said Williams admitted to the theft and was booked into the Shasta County Jail for robbery, burglary, and for violating his probation.
- Woman tracks down alleged purse thief in Redding
- Redding Police arrest "Habitual Thief"
- Alleged thief threatens to shoot a Redding couple
- Alleged Serial Thief Arrested yet Again in Redding
- Thief Arrested While Fleeing Redding Police
- Suspected Package Thief Captured in Redding
- Carr Fire Thief Sentenced
- Woman Tracks Down Stolen Car, Redding Police Arrest Suspect
- Caught on camera: Los Angeles purse snatcher
- Purse Snatching Suspect Nabbed in Anderson