UPDATE 5:10 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - The Shasta County Coroner's Office has identified the woman who was found dead on an island in the Sacramento River as Carol Marie Holmes, 64, of Redding.
The investigation is ongoing.
UPDATE 12:25 p.m. Monday, May 13, 2019 - The Redding Police Department said they do not believe foul play is suspected at this time, in connection to a body found alongside the Sacramento River.
Investigators are still waiting for the results of an autopsy and toxicology report, which will be released this week.
A family member reported finding the woman's body on an island near Girvan Road Friday evening.
REDDING, Calif. - The Redding Police Department is investigating a suspicious death after a woman was found dead alongside an island off the Sacramento River near Girvan Rd.
This incident happened at approximately 5:12 p.m. Friday in Redding.
Officers were dispatched to the island where a man had located a deceased female family member. Police Investigators responded and took over the investigation. The man was interviewed and released.
The scene was located in an isolated area and CHP - Northern Division Air Operations assisted in transporting officers to the island location.
Action News Now reporter Luna Nas spoke with one woman, Patty Harrell, who said she witnessed heavy police activity near her home on Friday.
"It was pretty chaotic. There was a lot of officers over there, there were a lot of people over there," Harrell said.
She went on to say, "What really made me nervous was when the crime scene investigation people showed up."
Harrell said she saw a helicopter land at a nearby park to airlift a person she believed to be the deceased mother of a known transient in her neighborhood.
"We do get a lot of transient activities here underneath the bridge, the Olney Creek and in the park," said Harrell.
The cause of death is unknown and an autopsy will be scheduled at a later date.
This is an ongoing investigation and the name of the deceased is not being released at this time.
Anyone with information regarding this incident should contact the Redding Police Department Investigations Division at (530) 225-4200.
- Shasta County coroner identifies woman found dead on island in Sacramento River
- Woman's body found on island in Sacramento River
- Body Found In Sacramento River Identified
- Dead woman found in Shingletown identified
- Body Found Near Sacramento River Identified as Former Redding Chamber of Commerce CEO
- Sacramento River flooding closes RV park
- Police Identify Body Found Near Yuba River
- Shasta County Sheriff-Coroner Tom Bosenko, announces retirement
- Fall River Brewing Raising Money to Rebuild Sacramento River Trail
- Coroner Identifies Motorcyclist Victim in SR-299 Crash