Photo Gallery 1 Images
REDDING, Calif. - A Florida man was arrested in Redding on Tuesday, Nov. 19 after officials say he committed a hate crime, brandished a weapon, assaulted a security guard and good samaritans, made criminal threats and resisted arrest.
Around 2 p.m., Redding Police say they responded to the city's library on Parkview Avenue after receiving a call about a suspect who had pulled a knife on the library's security guard.
Through investigation, officials say they learned 59-year-old Gill Gideon Bond had used a racial slur and threatened to kill an African American man who had asked him to leave because he was openly drinking alcohol.
Bond began causing a disturbance to the library, drawing the attention of the security guard.
Officials say because of this, the guard asked Bond to leave the library. Bond then pulled a knife from his pocket, keeping it at his side, and with his free hand, attempted to strike the guard.
The guard then attempted to grab both of Bond's arms to avoid being stabbed and a struggle began. This is when officials say good samaritans came to help the guard but Bond began attacking them as well and threatened to kill anyone near him.
When officers arrived, they say they pepper-sprayed Bond, who was still in an altercation with the guard and good samaritans, before being able to arrest him.
Bond was booked into the Shasta County Jail on charges of brandishing a weapon, assault, criminal threats, resisting arrest, and a hate crime.
Bond, who had only arrived in Redding in early November, had already been arrested twice in the two days before his Nov. 19 arrest.
- Redding Police: Florida man arrested following assault and hate crime
- Redding hate crime & assault arrest
- Redding Police Department Hate Crime Pamphlet
- Marysville police investigating assault as possible hate crime
- Hate Crime Rise in California
- Redding man arrested for assaulting, threatening officers
- Police arrest a man after a crime spree in Redding
- Redding Police arrest man after suspected crime spree
- Redding Police arrest man for assault on an officer
- Police Arrest Redding Man Suspected of Severely Assaulting, Robbing Girlfriend