Starting January 5, people looking to take care of business at the Redding Police Department will have to make other plans if it's Friday.
That's because a staffing shortage has forced the city to have to temporarily close the police lobby on Fridays.
“We had our records manager retire at the end of 2017,” Lieutenant Pete Brindley said. “We have two people who are out on long-term medical and several spots that are vacant at this time as well as people in training. So it's just kind of the perfect storm hit us.”
Brindley says the city is currently in the process of hiring a new employee, but that takes time.
Several people showed up to the police station Friday surprised to learn the news.
One woman said she was coming in to show proof of insurance after getting a ticket.
She said it was frustrating, but she would just have to come back Monday.
Brindley says visitors can use the call box located just outside the lobby doors to get assistance from someone in the records division on days the lobby is closed.
But like most things these days, some tasks can be handled online.
“There's a lot of crimes you can do online,” Brindley said. “Of course if its something more substantial in nature you can call either our non-emergency or 911 and an office will respond.”
But the inconvenience should only be temporary until police fill the positions they lost last year.
“So we're hoping to get those spots filled be up to full staff sometime in the middle to late spring,” Brindley said.
If you have an emergency police say you should always call 911.
- Redding Police Department lobby temporarily closed on Fridays
- Airport Road Temporarily Closed due to Car Crash in Redding
- Diesel spill temporarily closes Cypress Ave. in Redding
- 5th Street Bridge to temporarily close Sunday
- Rollover crash temporarily closes Pentz Road
- Redding Police Department Hate Crime Pamphlet
- Redding Police Department holds annual awards ceremony
- Rolling Hills lobby is ready to eat
- Hobby Lobby location coming to Chico
- Post Offices Temporarily Close Due to Carr Fire