REDDING, Calif. - The Redding Fire Department is investigating a fire at Tropics Bar on South Market Street in Redding Sunday night.
Investigators say it started just before midnight Sunday, with the fire being isolated mainly to the attic. Investigators say the building was built in the 1940s, and the new owners have been remodeling the location. Redding Fire Inspector Pat O'Connor says the department believes faulty wiring related to the remodeling may be the cause of the fire.
"When you talk about remodeling a historical landmark like this, many of those upgrades, trigger new fire code requirements, such as a sprinkler system, alarm system, things like that," O'Connor said. "If you remodel over a certain dollar amount or damage is significant enough you're replacing major structural components, things like that."
He said that the fire code in some situations is retroactive.
"Often times we find that is indeed the case - that you can't simply bring something up to code. The fire code itself is retroactive, in other words, if a building like this sustained a little bit of damage we could not implement current 2016 codes unless it met certain parameters," he said.
Redding Fire says arson is not suspected in this fire. No word on when Tropics Bar will reopen after the fire damage to the attic.
- Redding Fire: Faulty Wiring Potential Cause for Tropics Bar Fire
- Air conditioner's wiring may have caused structure fire
- Camp Fire survivor loses $400K to wire fraud
- Redding Fire Department investigating 5 potential arson cases
- Redding Warehouse Fire
- Redding fire officials investigating auto yard fire
- Redding Fire Department: House Fire in East Redding
- Firefighters Battle Redding Structure Fire
- Roots Juice Bar Opens in Downtown Redding
- 24 fire personnel respond to residential structure fire in Redding