REDDING, Calif - It's an unfamiliar sight for many businesses throughout Redding
The site of empty tables, the silence of games not being played, and closed signs plastered across businesses during the daytime.
Since the Carr Fire hit two weeks ago many people have been understandably focused on evacuations, and finding a place to live.
However, that also meant fewer customers for businesses.
"What we are seeing is there was immediately a general slowdown from the businesses as people were more concerned about preserving their lives and their homes and things like that and not necessarily going out and shopping, " said Redding Chamber of Commerce President Jake Mangas.
Mangas says they’ve been in contact with business around town to see what they need to stay afloat.
But for many, like Fratelli’s they were dealing with their own evacuations and trying to stay open.
“Our two owners are brothers and they both had to be evacuated luckily they both were able to keep their house but there was a good four to have days we were closed for two days," said kitchen manager Mat Calderon.
Employees say they knew pizza wasn’t going to be on people’s minds as they dealt with the fire, but for coworkers, who have turned into family, they tried to remain open so everyone could have a paycheck.
“We also kind of like took care of each other too. So you know people needed time off that's fine no worries. You know people taking other people's shifts making sure people had food and things they needed. Like everybody was bringing stuff in and helping out. Like people were coming in when they weren't on shift just to help out and make sure everybody was taken care of," said Calderon.
But now, that the dust is starting to settle around Redding, they’re seeing a change is business and hope this means the first steps into normalcy for the city.
- Redding Businesses Suffer due to Carr Fire
- Business Recovery After Carr Fire
- Recreational Businesses Struggle After Carr Fire
- Red Flag Warning around the 'Carr Fire'
- Redding Firefighter Killed in Carr Fire Identified
- Redding Swim Club Hurting After Tournaments Cancelled due to Carr Fire
- Mercy Medical Center Relocates Infants due to ‘Carr Fire’
- Post Offices Temporarily Close Due to Carr Fire
- Tourists and Residents Plans Ruined due to Carr Fire Closures
- Carr Fire Traffic Updates