An estimated 50 to 100 residents were evacuated from their homes after explosives were found in a Happy Valley home Tuesday.
Representatives from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office did not immediately know how long the evacuation could last which left some families wondering if they’d have to find a place for the night.
The American Red Cross set up an evacuation shelter at the Shasta District Fairgrounds.
One family there said they were not sure where they'd go if the situation went on into the night.
“I was a little nervous,” Marie Miller said. “I was like, ‘Oh my goodness. What's going on? Am I in danger?’ So I ended up calling the sheriff back to find out do I really need to leave. And they said yes, it's a good idea. Go ahead and leave.
The Miller family lives about about a quarter mile from where authorities discovered the explosive materials.
They say they learned about the situation via a reverse 911 phone call and were a little hesitant to leave.
But they preferred to be safe rather than sorry even if it means not sleeping in their beds tonight.
“We might be able to find somewhere else,” Miller said. “It's a possibility to stay here. We've got animals at home too. So it's kind of difficult. We've got three brand new puppies that are two days old at home.”
The Millers also have four children, one of whom is sick.
So they say being away from home is a major inconvenience.
Not many evacuees were at the site early Tuesday afternoon.
But the manager said that could change if the situation draws out into the nighttime hours.
Red cross volunteers were ready to go if that happened saying they had food and sleeping arrangements should folks have to spend the night.
However, the mandatory evacuation order was lifted later Tuesday evening.
- Red Cross sets up evacuation center after explosives found in Happy Valley home
- Shasta County Sheriff's come up with plan to deal with explosives found at Happy Valley home
- Evacuation Tips from the Red Cross
- LATEST: Remainder of explosives detonated in Happy Valley
- Danger in Happy Valley remains
- More Details on Explosive Materials Found in Redding Home
- Disturbance in Happy Valley Home Leads to Shooting
- Red Cross Shelter Future
- Deadly Explosion Explosives Found at Home of Ex-Boyfriend
- High speed pursuit ends in Happy Valley