The community of Rancho Tehama is still in shock and recovering from this mass shooting especially parents whose children endured the shots fired at the elementary school.
One day later and you can still see debris from the truck the gunman used to run into a school gate, he then got out on foot and opened fire into the classroom windows.
"He was shooting towards the kindergartner classroom where the 6-year-old was hit and where little Johnny was," said Debbie Sander, Grandmother of student.
Sander's grandson Johnny was inside the classroom when shots rang out at the elementary school Tuesday morning just as school was about to begin.
"It was really hard sleeping last night because it's finally hitting me," said Sanders.
The kindergartner is okay and she attributes that to the faculty on campus.
"I'm so proud of the teachers and everybody there," said Sanders.
Faculty locked down immediately even before being notified of a nearby shooter by law enforcement.
"How lucky we are all that this wasn't so much more worse," said Sanders.
Her older son Jessie encountered the gunman Kevin Neal outside the school.
"I said why don't you shoot this way instead," said Jessie.
He tried to distract the shooter away from the school, but was grazed by a bullet.
"He shot bullets at Jessie, but it only hit his arm, something protected him," said Sanders.
Neighbors who live across the street from the school are still in shock.
"It's terrible it's going to stick in everybodies minds forever," said a nearby neighbor.
However, even after such a horrific experience, Sanders says her son has one thing in mind.
"He was crying saying he wanted to go back to school. He loves school, it's his first year, and he loves school, said Sanders.
- Rancho Tehama Elementary families aim to recover
- Rancho Tehama Elementary School student continues to recover from gun-shot wounds
- Rancho Tehama Elementary students return back to school
- Mother of Rancho Tehama shooter speaks out
- Prayer vigil for Rancho Tehama shooting victims
- Sheriff's investigators: Rancho Tehama gunman shot himself
- Rancho Tehama Shooting: One Year Later
- Tehama County DA speaks about the Rancho Tehama shootings
- Neighbors say Rancho Tehama shooter long known for dangerous behavior
- Resident's phone video catches gunfire volley during Rancho Tehama rampage