Redding, Calif. -- The Redding Electric Utility is expanding its discount program to low income individuals.
This comes as the Redding City Council approved the program proposal earlier this week.
R.E.U. says many residents are currently having trouble paying their utility bills, so with this program 5,600 low income residents will have a $15 to $34 discounted on their bills.
"The key component to this is that more people will qualify the old lifeline plus you only had to have a 50 percent of medium income now you will qualify up to 60 percent of medium," said Mark Haddad the assistant director of finance.
R.E.U says the program is already in progress , and residents who have applied for the discount could start seeing smaller bills as of April 4th.
- REU Expands its New Discount Program
- REU: Redding eliminates reconnection fees
- More than 13,000 REU customers without power
- Shoppers brawling over discount Nutella
- REU lower rates could save customers almost $200,000 a year
- 550 REU Customers Still Without Power in Redding
- REU restores power to South Creek Church area
- President Trump discounts accusations against Roy Moore
- Chico's Boundaries May Expand
- Reno Resort and Casino Offers Low Discount Stay for Carr Fire Victims