DANBURY, CT - 86 puppies were saved from a fire at a puppy store in Danbury, Connecticut on Thursday night.
Shop owner Sean Silverman said, "I saw flames in the back of the building and I panicked, obviously, like normal."
Silverman's business occupies a building just a couple of feet in front of the Danbury Powersports storage shed. That's where motorcycles, ATV's and quads were all torched Thursday night.
But all 86 puppies are safe now.
Bes Kaba, the manager for Stanziatos, said, "We succeeded by actually taking a statue and launching it through the front door and then at that point we were able to successfully get all of the dogs out."
But the dogs are also safe because of two firefighters' heroics at the back of the store by a fire door.
Silverman said, "Danbury firefighters were incredible because one of them, and I'm hoping I can get the footage of my cameras, was holding the fire door because I guess it was trying to open up and it melted his jacket."
The deputy fire chief explained if the fire succeeded in pushing through into the store, many of the dogs could have perished and the business would likely have been ruined.
Silverman said, "All my staff came in. My vet was here. So, we were here until 1:30, two in the morning and somebody slept with the puppies."
All of the puppies are being housed for the weekend in a vacant, heated space in the building right next door.
- Puppies Saved From Connecticut Store Fire
- Abandoned puppies saved by Good Samaritan
- National Puppy Day
- Puppy death plea
- Caught on Cam: Firefighter gives choking puppy Heimlich, saves life
- Connecticut news radio veteran Fran Schneidau dies at 79
- Investigations continue in Concow puppy mill case
- Hikers Stumble Upon Abandoned Puppies in Kentucky
- Man saves bunny rabbit in Thomas Fire
- Butte County Animal Control shuts down Concow puppy mill