A prayer with the refrain "we will remember him" opened a public memorial for San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, Sunday.
Rabbi Beth Singer led those gathered at city hall in prayer after praising the late mayor's justice, mercy, and humility.
The 65-year-old Lee, the son of Chinese immigrants and San Francisco’s first Asian-American mayor, died last week.
Acting mayor London breed recalled a trip to China with Lee.
Breed said he received a pop star's welcome in his parents' home country - like "a Beyoncé with a mustache."
- Public memorial for San Francisco Mayor
- San Francisco mayor's race draws big names, crowded field
- Recreational pot rules move to San Francisco mayor for OK
- San Francisco police recover Olympic skater's costumes
- 'Ganja Yoga' classes offered in San Francisco
- Heroic cliff rescue in San Francisco
- Educators host flash mob in San Francisco
- Worker dies after San Francisco construction accident
- Chico State volleyball team sweeps San Francisco State