Senator Bernie Sanders has repeatedly called for President Donald Trump to acknowledge the realities of climate change, and it's a message he shared again with a packed room at the Chico Masonic Family Center on Thursday.
"Donald Trump says that climate change is a hoax. Donald Trump is dangerously, dangerously wrong," said the senator.
"On this issue, [the president's] ignorance will impact not just our country but the entire planet."
The Sanders campaign took the opportunity to unveil their candidate's $16.3 trillion Green New Deal plan to the crowd of over 700 people.
"We are also going to create some 20 million new good-paying jobs," the senator announced.
The plan, as outlined by the Sanders campaign, would make massive investments in sustainable energy, with the goal of reaching 100 percent renewable energy no later than 2030.
"We are telling the fossil fuel industry that their short term profits are not more important than the future of this planet," the senator announced.
After the town hall ended, Camp Fire survivor Susan Dobera and her husband John-Michael Sun told Action News Now they are grateful to the senator for speaking to the connection between wildfires and climate change.
"There's a possibility that other places are not going to have to go through [what we did] if we use this as a cautionary lesson," Dobera said.
"Using the terrible tragedy that you have experienced in Paradise, use that to tell the people of America and the world, that one tragedy like this is one tragedy too much," said the senator in the closing of his speech.
Senator Sanders has previously called climate change the single greatest threat to the planet. Whether that messaging resonated with voters in the North State remains to be seen in the polls.
- Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders speaks in Chico
- Bernie Sanders launches second presidential campaign
- Senator Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run
- Senator Bernie Sanders speaks on immigration reform in Chico
- The crowd reacts to Sen. Bernie Sanders' town hall
- Bernie Sanders' victory scrambles the race
- Bernie Sanders' ceiling and Joe Biden's 'Avengers'
- 2020 Presidential Candidates Fast Facts
- Sen. Bernie Sanders targets climate change, healthcare during North State visit
- Senator Bernie Sanders will hold a town hall in Chico, Aug. 22