BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - The president of the 16 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also called the Mormon Church) visited Chico and Paradise Sunday to see the devastation of the Camp Fire for himself.
Russell M. Nelson and his entourage flew into the Chico Airport Sunday morning before meeting with North State officials, legislators and church members at the Mariposa Avenue church.
After that, the 94-year-old was taken up to the Ridge to visit the two Mormon churches on Buschmann Rd. and Bille Rd.
In the video you can see the church on Buschmann Road, that was completely destroyed.
The church on Bille Rd. survived the fire.
According to the Deseret News, approximately 1,400 homes belonged to church members on the Ridge. Only six of those homes survived without any damage.
The Chico Stake has opened up since the fire to provide food, community meals, and a giving tree for evacuees. According to the Deseret News, the community started referring to the Chico Bishop's Storehouse as "the grocery store without a cash register."
The Chico Stake Center on Mariposa Avenue also became the central collection and organization spot for more than 14,000 toys that were donated to the "Chips for Kids" toy drive, which is operated by Blair Parrott, who serves as the community outreach officer with the California Highway Patrol in Chico.
Nelson is the 17th president and prophet of the Church Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He became president in January of 2018. He is a former surgeon and medical researcher who was chairman of the Division of Thoracic Surgery at the LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City.
Prior to his service as the head of the church, he served as the president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He has been part of this quorum since 1984.
- President of Mormon Church Visits Butte Co. in Response to Camp Fire
- President Trump visits Camp Fire
- Chile church burned after Pope visit
- Butte County Fire
- Butte County Sheriff Provides Update on Camp Fire
- Butte County Sheriff Holds Media Briefing for Camp Fire
- Butte County Public Health Confirms Norovirus in Camp Fire Shelter
- Butte County Sheriff's Office Releases Camp Fire 9-1-1 Calls
- Spike in Butte County House Sales Since Camp Fire
- Butte County Files Lawsuit Against PG&E for Camp Fire Damages