UPDATE 1:12 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - California Highway Patrol officers released more information regarding a pipe bomb found on I-5, near the off-ramp to Jellys Ferry Road.
Around 10:20 a.m. on Tuesday, a man was driving on the off-ramp and noticed a suspicious device. He immediately reported the device to the California Highway Patrol.
The Tehama County Bomb Squad confirmed that the device was an active pipe bomb and was able to detonate it safely. Nobody was injured in the incident.
The Tehama County Sheriff's Office encourages anyone that notices a suspicious device in the roadway to report it immediately.
Authorities are still investigating the incident.
UPDATE 12:58 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - Authorities at the scene have confirmed that the device found in the area is a pipe bomb.
The Tehama County Bomb Squad is currently at the scene responding.
TEHAMA COUNTY, Calif. - The California Highway Patrol has closed the on- and off-ramps of I-5 to Jellys Ferry Road after they said a device was found in the roadway.
TRAFFIC ALERT: I-5 at Jellys Ferry Road (Tehama County) - NB and SB onramps, offramps, and over-crossing are currently closed. Will advise when onramps, offramps, and over-crossing reopen.
— Caltrans District 2 (@CaltransD2) July 16, 2019
An officer with the California Highway Patrol in Red Bluff said there are still units on the scene working to clear the roadway.
There is no estimated time the roadway will be reopened.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- Portion of I-5 closed at Jellys Ferry Road due to pipe bomb in roadway
- Jellys Ferry Bridge Closed Indefinitely
- Tehama County officials to replace Jellys Ferry Bridge
- Jellys Ferry Bridge construction causes major driving detours, delays
- Ord Ferry Road still closed after semi-truck crash
- Portion of West Sacramento closed due to flooding
- Portion of I-5 in Shasta County to Expand
- Traffic Alert: Portion of Highway 36 closed due to rock slide
- Semi Goes Over Bridge, Ord Ferry Road Now Open
- UPDATE: NOW OPEN I-5 at Fawndale Road