VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope Francis has denounced abortion as the "white glove" equivalent of the Nazi-era eugenics program and urged families to accept the children that God gives them.
Francis spoke off-the-cuff Saturday to a meeting of an Italian family association. The Vatican didn't immediately provide a transcript of his remarks, but the ANSA news agency and the SIR agency of the Italian bishops' conference quoted him as denouncing pre-natal tests that can result in parents choosing to terminate a pregnancy if the fetus is malformed or suffering other problems.
The agencies quoted Francis as saying: "Last century, the whole world was scandalized by what the Nazis did to purify the race. Today, we do the same thing but with white gloves."
He urged families to accept children "as God gives them to us."
- Pope: Abortion is ‘White Glove’ Equivalent to Nazi Crimes
- Chile church burned after Pope visit
- Violent Crime in Redding
- Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban
- Judge blocks Missouri 8-week abortion ban
- Former Nazi guard, 93, to stand trial in Germany over thousands of camp murders
- Krispy Kreme owners donate $5 million to Holocaust survivors over family's Nazi past
- Northern White Rhino Dies
- Chico Police Investigating Crime Spree
- Hate Crime Rise in California