UPDATE 5:20 pm. Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019 - The Chico Police Department has identified the suspect as 25-year-old Jose Santana-Cuevas.
Investigators were able to find Santana-Cuevas after there were reports of a similar vehicle being involved in a collision in Orland the same night. The driver in that collision was arrested for DUI charges and was later identified as Santana-Cuevas.
During the investigation, authorities discovered that Santana-Cuevas got into an altercation with another person inside a nearby bar. After the altercation, all involved were escorted out of the bar. It is believed that soon after, Santana-Cuevas drove his vehicle toward the others involved and starting firing at them. Detectives are still trying to determine why the shooting occurred.
Santana-Cuevas was booked into Butte County Jail on charges of attempted homicide and assault with a deadly weapon.
CHICO, Calif. - Police are searching for a suspect that shot two people on Saturday morning in downtown Chico in a drive-by shooting.
At 12:45 a.m. two people were walking south on Normal St. at W. 2nd St. when a person verbally challenged them from inside of a vehicle that was being driven past them.
Officials from the Chico Police Department said someone in the vehicle discharged a firearm at the victims, who were still walking on Normal St.
One of the victims was shot in the leg. The other victim was not hit by the gunfire, according to police, but several cars in a nearby city parking lot were struck by bullets.
The victim's gunshot wound was not life-threatening.
The car was a red Camaro that had black racing stripes. The suspect, who was in the car, was identified as being a male. That was the extent of the description of the shooter provided by Chico police at this time.
Anyone with information about the incident or the suspect or his vehicle is asked to call the Chico Police Department at (530) 897-4900.
- Police identify suspect in Chico drive-by shooting
- Chico Police Arrest Shooting Suspects
- Police identify and arrest suspect in Chico Halloween shooting
- Chico police arrest 2 suspects connected to drive-by shooting
- Redding Police identify hotel shooting suspect
- Police search for Chico shooting suspect
- Dangerous shooting suspect sentenced for Chico shooting
- Suspect identified in Youtube Headquarters Shooting
- Suspects identified in deadly Highway 70 shooting
- Suspect identified in Anderson officer-involved shooting