UPDATE: 4:25 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020 - The Shasta County District Attorney's Office has announced that the woman charged in a little league embezzlement, now has new charges for "defrauding two elderly women."
Michele Abrams was arraigned on Thursday morning and is in custody on two charges of theft from an elder, grand theft, and identity theft, which are all felonies, the DA said. On top of those charges, Abrams is charged with one count of misdemeanor petty theft.
Originally, police said Abrams bail was $50,000. However, the DA's office is now saying her bail is set to a combined total of $100,000 for all her cases.
A preliminary hearing has been set for Feb. 5, according to the DA's office.
REDDING, Calif. - Redding police have arrested a woman who scammed two elderly women in connection with embezzling over $12,000 from a local little league team, according to investigators.
Adult Protective Services shared information with the Redding Police Department Investigation Division of an elder abuse case, the suspect was identified as Michele Luanne Abrams, On Dec. 23.
Abrams was known to have been previously arrested and charged in November 2019 for embezzling over $12,000 from a local little league team.
After this, authorities said Abrams fraudulently used a 90-year-old woman’s credit card while she was working as her caretaker. The fraudulent activities amounted to $6,400 over a two month period, police said.
Some of the charges appeared to have included a personal trip for Abrams to Ontario, California. This included her flight and purchases at the Lego Store, the Disney Store, Mr. J, Dave and Busters, Back Angus, and a few more. There were also charges from a nail salon for over $200, police said.
Investigators said Abrams admitted to the 90-year-old woman’s family that she was fraudulently using the victim’s credit card, and claimed she would pay the money back.
Shortly after that agreement, a family member of the elderly woman noticed a payment from Abrams through a Cash App. The family member had seen news coverage indicating Abrams had embezzled from the little league team. Police said that family member thought the money coming from Abram's cash app may have come from the little league’s account.
Authorities said the investigation revealed that Abrams also scammed a 77-year-old elderly woman, who was friends with the 90-year-old woman that Abrams was working for.
An arrest warrant was obtained for Abrams on Jan. 21, for the charges of felony elder abuse, grand theft, and identity theft.
Investigators said they found Abrams and arrested her on Tuesday, Jan. 22. She is currently being held in the Shasta County Jail on $50,000 bail.
- Police: Redding woman arrested for elderly abuse in connection with embezzlement from local little league
- Redding woman arrested for embezzling over $12,000 from West Redding Little League, DA announces
- Red Bluff Little League Theft
- Woman arrested on embezzlement charges in Placer County
- Redding police arrest suspect connected to stabbing attack
- Redding Police: Woman arrested following stabbing
- Chico woman arrested, suspected of embezzling over $250,000 from local medical practice, detectives say
- Woman arrested after caught on video abusing dog in Redding
- Red Bluff police arrest woman in connection to near-death of toddler
- Woman arrested in Los Angeles-area beating of elderly man