SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Authorities are hunting the man suspected of killing a policeman who stopped his truck in a small California town.
Thirty-three-year-old Ronil Singh was shot Wednesday after stopping a pickup truck without a license plate in Newman, about 100 miles southeast of San Francisco.
The truck was later found but the gunman is at large.
Authorities say surveillance photos taken at a convenience store shortly before the attack show the suspect, a heavy man with short dark hair wearing a chain necklace, dark T-shirt and jacket.
The Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department says police agencies throughout California and out of state have been alerted.
Singh was a native of Fiji who joined the Newman police force in 2011. He is survived by a wife and an infant son.
Original Article from Action News Now:
STANISLAUS COUNTY, Calif. - Authorities are on the hunt for a suspect responsible for shooting and killing a police officer during a routine traffic stop in Stanislaus County early Wednesday morning.
According to the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department, an officer pulled over a vehicle in Newman, a city east of San Jose, just before 1 a.m.
Moments later, a radio call came in saying there were “shots fired.”
When officers arrived, they found Newman Police Officer Ronil Singh, 33, with gunshot wounds and was later pronounced deceased at a local hospital.
Law enforcement officials have released surveillance images of a suspect and a gray Dodge Ram truck, they suspect it may be connected to the shooting.
Singh was with the Newman Police Department since July 2011 and was a native of Fiji.
- Newman Officer Killed, Search is on for Gunman: Stanislaus County Sheriff
- Stanislaus authorities searching for murder suspect
- Statewide Manhunt Underway for Suspect in Stanislaus Officer Shooting
- Stanislaus Deputy Killed in Car Chase with Suspected Drunk Driver
- Sheriff's investigators: Rancho Tehama gunman shot himself
- Modoc County Sheriff’s Office searching for missing man
- Lassen County Sheriff's Office Searches for Christmas Day Vandals
- Accomplices of Newman police officer killer plead guilty
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office: Most Wanted Criminals
- Bear Sighting at Placer County Sheriff's Office