OROVILLE, Calif. - Oroville Police are on the hunt for the person who killed an 86-year-old woman in her home.
Greta Putnam was found dead in her home at the Cottonwood Estates Mobile Home Park. It happened the same day the Camp Fire broke out. Oroville Police describe the killing as brutal. There was no forced entry or items stolen. The cause of death is still under investigation.
"The death appeared to be suspicious in nature, and based on the observation of our officers on scene and based on what we observed, it was clear a homicide occurred and an investigation began at that point," said Lt. Chris Nicodemus of Oroville Police.
No word on a motive yet. Police are investigating several leads, including the church next to the victim's home, where homeless people have been spotted.
Police say they are also looking for Ms. Putnam's relative, 21-year-old Dominic Potts in connection to the case. He has been missing since Ms. Putnam's body was discovered. Potts' car was found abandoned a month ago near Chester. Plumas County Police are working with Oroville Police on the investigation.
The family continues to search for answers. In a written statement to Action News Now, they describe Ms. Putnam as a loving and positive person.
"You could always find her outside in her power chair watering her flowers or blowing the leaves off her front porch. She loved being outside. She lived a full extraordinary life. From modeling in her early 30s to becoming her own broker for Century 21. She did it all. You name it, she did it."
Anyone with information that could assist in the investigation is encouraged to contact the Oroville Police.
- Police Investigate Murder of 86-year-old Oroville Woman
- Oroville police capture murder suspect
- Oroville Homicide Under Investigation
- Woman arrested on murder charges after fatal shooting in Oroville
- UPDATE: Oroville woman found safe
- Red Bluff Police Investigate Possible Murder-Suicide
- Oroville Police Investigating Two Shootings Half-Mile Apart
- Oroville murder suspect back in court
- Oroville Man Arrested for Ex-Wife's Murder
- Oroville Police Seize Illegal Weapons