LOS ANGELES (AP) - An airline says a Tokyo-bound flight returned to Los Angeles hours into the journey after the crew discovered that one of the passengers had boarded the wrong plane.
A statement from All Nippon Airways says the pilot decided to return to the originating airport as part of the airline's security procedures.
Flight 175 left Los Angeles International Airport at 11:36 a.m. Tuesday and returned to LAX at 7:33 p.m.
Model Chrissy Teigen was aboard and live-tweeted the developments. She wondered on Twitter why the plane was turning around four hours into the 11-hour flight.
ANA says it's trying to determine how the passenger boarded the wrong flight.
In an apology to inconvenienced passengers, the airline says it takes pride in customer service and failed on this flight.
- Plane returns to LA because passenger was on wrong flight
- Lufthansa sues passenger who missed his flight
- Naked passenger forces plane back to Anchorage
- Windowless Planes Could Bring Many Flight Benefits
- Video shows holiday hang glider flight going horribly wrong
- Passenger opens plane emergency exit, mistaking it for the toilet
- Pilot, passenger in Medford plane crash arrested on trafficking charges
- First non-stop flight to L.A. takes flight from Redding
- Passengers stuck on United flight in frigid cold for more than 14 hours
- First ever passenger flying drone