PLACER COUNTY, Calif. - The Placer County Sheriff’s Office said a Chico man on Friday led CHP officers in a lengthy pursuit through the city of Auburn before being killed in an officer-involved shooting.
According to sheriff’s deputies, the pursuit first began at Nevada County and then in Placer County, where at one point the suspect, Lockwood Adrian Gibson, 49, from Chico, crashed with a sheriff’s patrol unit.
The name of the decedent from yesterday’s pursuit and officer involved shooting is Lockwood Adrian Gibson, 49, from Chico.
— Placer Sheriff (@PlacerSheriff) April 21, 2018
Gibson then intentionally swerved into the path of an oncoming, pursuing sheriff’s patrol unit, said Placer County sheriff’s deputies.
The high-speed chase was later put into CHP’s jurisdiction where officers chased Gibson through the city of Auburn onto Foresthill Road and into the town of Foresthill.
CHP officers ended the pursuit by forcing the suspect’s car off the roadway.
Officials said “they were forced to use deadly force,” ultimately killing Gibson.
The Placer County Sheriff’s Office Investigations Division is investigating the incident and is asking the public’s help in this case.
Authorities did not disclose why they opened fire or what type of vehicle Gibson was driving.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Placer Co. Sheriff: Chico man Involved in Pursuit, Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- Sheriff's ID Man in Redding Officer Involved Shooting
- Man Identified in Deadly Officer Involved Shooting
- Authorities identify man killed in Redding officer-involved shooting
- Bear Sighting at Placer County Sheriff's Office
- Yuba County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Tehama County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Victim Identified in Redding Officer-Involved Shooting
- Marysville Police Investigating Officer-Involved Shooting