MEDFORD, Oreg. - The pilot and passenger of the small plane that crashed in Medford, OR, over the weekend are now in jail.
Zachary Moore and Matthew Thompson are lodged in the Jackson County Jail on felony charges of importing or exporting marijuana items and unlawful marijuana possession.
Right after the plane went down witnesses said they spotted bags of marijuana in the back of the plane.
"I had just parked my truck out in front where the airplane is and I was in the garage and my first initial thought is somebody ran into the back of my truck," said Jim Porter, a resident in the Medford area. "I went running to the garage, to the entrance of the garage, and then I said, 'Oh my god its a plane.' So I went back and got my phone and my keys and started calling 911."
The plane is registered to an address in Idaho where cannabis is illegal for all purposes, and possession of small amounts is a misdemeanor crime.
- Pilot, passenger in Medford plane crash arrested on trafficking charges
- Iran plane crash: A pilot's perspective
- Pilot killed when single-engine plane crashes in LA suburb
- Naked passenger forces plane back to Anchorage
- Plane returns to LA because passenger was on wrong flight
- Passenger opens plane emergency exit, mistaking it for the toilet
- Minor injury for pilot after small plane crash along the Yuba River
- LATEST - Pilot Who Died in Truckee-Tahoe Area Plane Crash Identifed
- Lion Air Crash: Pilots Fought Automatic Safety System Before Plane Plunged
- Coach Arrested for Human Trafficking of Minor