Photo Gallery 2 Images
UPDATE 12:22 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 4, 2017 - According to the Chico Police Department, the train's operator attempted to make an emergency stop when they saw the pedestrian on the tracks, but was unable to stop the train in time.
Witness statements indicated the adult female pedestrian was walking across the railroad crossing intersection and failed to notice the oncoming southbound train until it was too late.
Police also said the railroad crossing signals and crossing arms were activated and functioning at the time of the collision.
Railroad crossings on East Avenue, W. Lindo Avenue and W. 8th Avenue were all closed to traffic for approximately two and a half hours due to the stopped train.
The name of the woman has not yet been released, and will not be until next of kin are notified.
UPDATE 11:35 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018 - Chico Police say Saturday evening just before 5:30 p.m., a woman only described as "older," was crossing the train tracks near West 8th Avenue.
Witnesses and the conductor were interviewed by Chico Police.
Investigators say the woman was using a walker when she went around the crossing guard, then became distracted and fiddled with her bag as she stood on the tracks. She did not hear the approaching train and was struck.
Her name will be released once her family is notified.
CHICO, Calif. - A train hit a pedestrian on the railroad tracks on W. 8th Avenue in Chico on Saturday just after 5:30 p.m.
The pedestrian was declared dead at the scene.
W. 8th Avenue is closed at the railroad tracks, and the train is still there.
We have a reporter on the scene. Come back to this article later for more details, which we will provide when more information is available.
- Woman Killed By Train in Chico
- Identity Released of Man Killed by Amtrak Train in Chico
- Person killed by train in Chico on W. 1st Street
- Chico woman recovering after being hit by train
- Redding man killed by train
- Chico Animal Shelter closed for staff training
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- Amtrak Train Collides with Car, Killing One
- Redding Police investigating man killed by train
- A person was killed by a train in Chico early Saturday morning