PARADISE, Calif. - The Paradise Town Council considered several ordinances at a meeting on Tuesday night, many of which may have an impact on the future of the town after the Camp Fire.
The council voted on 20 policies that have come from months of feedback from Camp Fire survivors.
Officials voted in favor of several policies on Tuesday night, including a defensible space ordinance and an ordinance to place electric, gas and communication lines underground.
The council voted against an ordinance requiring residents to have interior sprinklers, which was a hot topic for many Camp Fire survivors at the meeting.
Currently, sprinklers are required in the California Building Code for stick-built homes, not manufactured homes. The code change would have required manufactured homes to have sprinklers as well, but the council voted against that ordinance.
Many Camp Fire survivors were also in attendance.
"If you're going to plan for the long term future you gotta plan for occurrences like the fire or whatever will happen," said Deborah Matthews, a Camp Fire survivor.
"On the fire safety issue, I think that the building codes have to change because they have much better buildings on and they have much better things to prevent fires," said Bob Dickinson, a Camp Fire survivor.
On June 25, the town staff will come back together and give an update on the policies the council directed them to look at.
See a full list of ordinances voted on below:
- Paradise Town Council considers several rebuilding ordinances
- Paradise Town Council Gets Rebuilding Status Update
- Rebuilding Paradise: Town Council Member gives update
- Paradise Town Council Votes to Repeal Temporary Housing Ordinance
- Town of Paradise issues first rebuild permit
- Rebuilding progress in Paradise
- Paradise Town Council talks about disaster recovery
- Town of Paradise holds open house for rebuilding efforts
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: Update from Town Councilman Steve Crowder
- Paradise rebuilding and recovery: Update from Town Councilman Michael Zuccolillo