BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - On Tuesday, the Paradise council passed an ordinance naming Nov. 8 as Camp Fire Memorial Day.
It has been nearly one year since the Camp Fire, and many events are being planned for the week of Nov. 8. The town will hold several events on Friday, Nov. 8th:
First, 11:08 a.m. there will be 86 seconds of silence for the 86 lives lost, and the unveiling of the 'Key Phoenix' - Building Resiliency Center at 6295 Skyway.
Then, 12 p.m.: Groundbreaking at Camp Fire Memorial - Skyway/Foster Triangle.
Lastly, 6:30 p.m.: Camp Fire Remembrance Ceremony - Paradise Alliance Church 6491 Clark Road.
Debris Removal Update
- As of Sept. 11, 2019, there have been 10,557 properties cleared of debris.
- The county has certified 6,738 properties as clean of debris.
- There have been 317 building permits issued
- 3 homes have been rebuilt
- The Town is on track to receive 500 building applications by the end of the year! Initially, the Town expected to receive about 200 applications by December 31st, but stronger than expected interest in rebuilding has surpassed our projections.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation that will temporarily waive the requirement that all new homes be built with solar panels for homes rebuilt after the Camp Fire. Homes must be rebuilt prior to January 1, 2023, to be eligible for the exemption.
- NEW PROGRAM: State Controller’s Office has announced applications being accepted for the Property Tax Postponement (PTP) Program. Benefit: Defer current-year payment of property taxes on their principal residence.
Eligibility: Homeowners who are seniors, blind, or have a disability. Must have 40% equity in their home AND an annual household income of $35,500 or less to qualify. To learn more, CLICK HERE
- Paradise Recreation and Park District (PRPD) will bring the Ice Rink back to Paradise starting November 7, 2019! They are currently looking for sponsors and for seasonal employees to work at the rink. For more information, contact PRPD at (530) 872-6393. The deadline to apply is Sept. 23rd.
Upcoming Meetings & Events
There are multiple events and meetings coming up that the public can attend.
Paradise Community Information Meeting
- When: Tuesday, Oct. 1 from 6-8 p.m.
- Where: Paradise Alliance Church
Town of Paradise Contractors Discussion
- When: Friday, Sept. 20, from 3 - 4:30 p.m.
- Location: 5555 Skyway
Johnny Apple Seed Days
- When: Oct. 5th and 6th
- Where: Terry Ashe Park - 6626 Skyway
Paradise Town Council Meeting
- When: Friday, Oct. 8, at 6-10 p.m.
- Where: 5555 Skyway
Paradise Community Dinner
- When: Thursdays from 6-8p.m.
- Where: 6491 Clark Rd
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Is there a plan for a pet memorial?
Answer: Right now the Town does not have plans for a pet memorial, however, the Town is working with the Rotary Club of Paradise on a Camp Fire memorial proposed to be constructed at Skyway and Foster Rd. A pet memorial sounds like a nice idea, and the Town will look into having the Animal Shelter take the lead on the initiative.
Question: Is there financial help for people that were underinsured but not low-income?
Answer: PG&E has designated $100 million for Camp Fire Survivors to be distributed through the Wildfire Assistance Program. The Wildfire Assistance Program has funding available for Camp Fire survivors regardless of income or insurance. To apply for the program, visit https://www.norcalwildfireassistanceprogram.com/. The deadline to apply is November 15th, 2019.
Question: Can you tell me more information about the PG&E Soil Delivery Program:
Answer: Northstate Aggregate is assisting PG&E by removing excess dirt from PG&E work areas. Residents may contact Northstate Aggregate at (530) 877-5357 for free soil delivery. This limited service is a first-come, first-serve, non-guaranteed free service and at this time is expected to continue to the life of the rebuild project. The resident is responsible for working with Northstate Aggregate to acquire the dirt and is responsible for the placement of the material.
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: Nov. 8 named Camp Fire Memorial Day
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: Nov. 8th will now be known as Camp Fire Memorial Day
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: Paradise hired new Disaster Recovery Manager
- Rebuilding Paradise after the Camp Fire
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: 'A feeling of normalcy in Paradise'
- Rebuilding progress in Paradise
- Camp Fire Memorial Was Held in Paradise
- Carr Fire recovery team announces rebuilding plans
- Mayor of Paradise talks about Rebuilding and Recovery Planning
- Paradise Rebuilding and Recovery: Update from Town Councilman Steve Crowder