PARADISE, Calif. - Action News Now reporter Laura Eng spoke with a Paradise man who recorded the escape from his home due to the Camp Fire.
Keith Turpin noticed the sky starting to turn to smoke and knew that he had to leave. His wife left the house first to pick up her mother in a trailer park down the street.
"This is really gruesome," he said. "This [the sky] is all starting to fill up with smoke."
Turpin stuck around, driving around in a quad to make sure neighbors left the area. One of his neighbors has Cerebral Palsy and his wife could not get him into a wheelchair.
Another neighbor was trying to get out of her home with her dogs when the fire was at her back door.
Turpin finally made it out of Paradise, thanks to a man who let him put his quad into his truck.
You can watch footage of Turpin's experience in the video.
- Paradise Man Records Escape from Camp Fire
- Paradise Ice Rink Opens After Camp Fire
- Camp Fire Memorial Was Held in Paradise
- Paradise High School Survives Camp Fire
- Paradise Sign Salvaged After Camp Fire
- Paradise Post Office Reopens After Camp Fire
- Rebuilding Paradise after the Camp Fire
- Paradise principal moving on after Camp Fire
- Paradise schools consolidate after Camp Fire
- Paradise population decreases 90% since Camp Fire