PARADISE, Calif. -- For the first time since the Camp Fire, the Paradise Irrigation District released its Water System Recovery Plan to restore potable water to the town again.
"We're dealing with a problem that hasn't been defined before. We haven't done this before, nobody has done this before," said Sami Kader, Principal of Water Works Engineers.
The water system recovery plan consists of the following basic steps. It's going to sample all service laterals and mains in the distribution for VOCs, meaning volatile organic compounds such as benzene. This will total to nearly 20,000 samples.
The plan will also replace contaminated service laterals and flush contaminated mains. The last step is to restore potable water in the system.
"Even with a filter system, even when I grab a glass, I don't want to question it that I can drink it and I still do. It's unbelievable what the town is going through. There just needs to be some answers," said Sharon Simonton, a Camp Fire survivor.
While executing the plan, the PID said they will make sure to have a temporary customer supply of water, recover water meters, sample mains and service laterals and reconnect customers to the distribution system.
Kevin Phillips, the District Manager for PID, said the water system recovery plan will start on Thursday.
The Paradise Irrigation District announced Paradise Lake will be reopening Thursday for the first time since the Camp Fire.
With the exception of this week, the lake will be open Friday through Monday. Hours are from 5 a.m. to sundown.
- Paradise Irrigation District releases Water System Recovery Plan
- Paradise Irrigation District discusses current water system
- Paradise Irrigation District Launches Drive-Thru Service
- Paradise Irrigation District looks for water-sample volunteers
- Paradise Irrigation District to hold community meeting on the water system
- Our Future After the Fire: Paradise water plan unveiled by Irrigation District
- Paradise presents Community Recovery Plan
- Demonstration Garden to open at Paradise Irrigation District
- Paradise Irrigation District provides update on water safety in Camp Fire burn scar
- Paradise officials provide update on Water Supply Recovery Program