PARADISE, Calif.-- Paradise High School is getting a new gymnasium set to break ground in September after finally recieving funding.
The bond for the gym was approved back in 2001 but they finally got the go-ahead from the California Allocation Board last Thursday.
The new gym will have classrooms, a snack bar, basketball courts, new equipment and much more.
Student athletes say their looking forward to having the new facility.
"Having one gym our practices were sometimes really late cause trying to squeeze all the teams into one," said Alysa Winebarger, a two-sport athlete at Paradise High.
She also said having new floors in the gym will be beneficial for her basketball team.
"Having a new floor will be super nice cause its not slippery I know when we were running and stuff you're sliding everywhere," said Winebarger.
Paradise High athletic director, Anne Stearns, said the approval of the bond gives the school hope and a new beginning after the devastating Camp Fire.
"When the fire happened, it was like the highest high you could ever have with getting a bond approved and then the lowest low of losing pretty much everything and so to now know were going to have the gym is really exciting for all of us," said Stearns.
The new gym will be built where the lower tennis courts are now.
The groundbreaking is set for September but there is no timetable on when the project will be completed.
- Paradise High is getting a new gym
- Paradise High School Bullying
- Paradise High School Resumes Classes
- Lord's Gym hosts fifth-annual Mud Run
- Female Kicker Makes History at Paradise High
- Paradise High School Survives Camp Fire
- Paradise High School Resumes Classes Jan. 8
- President Trump Signs Paradise High School Hat
- Paradise High School students prepare for graduation
- Paradise High School gains exchange students