CHICO, Calif. - Pacific Gas and Electric Co. are warning its customers of ongoing scam phone calls with criminals threatening to shut off power if payment is not made.
There have been double the number of scam attempts, in some areas, compared to this time last year, according to PG&E.
PG&E's Corporate Security department has received several reports in the past few weeks regarding scammers requesting payment on past due utility bills immediately with a cash card.
“In the past, we’ve seen scammers demanding payment be made using a Green Dot card or Money Pack but now we’re seeing these criminals requesting payment with a gift card. This should raise a red flag,” said Carl Schoenhofer, senior manager of PG&E’s North Valley Division.
Another new trend that PG&E is seeing is that the scam is becoming more detailed.
Scammers include specific names of customers, and in some cases, guessing general dollar amounts owed. They are also disguising their true phone numbers with a caller ID that says “PG&E” or “Pacific Gas & Electric.”
Other scam phone call tactics that you should watch out for include:
• Notifying residents that they are eligible for a federal tax refund-related to their utility bill;
• Trying to sell services related to solar evaluation; and
• Claiming to represent a PG&E initiative to sell a product in order to gain access to their home.
PG&E has offered the following advice to help protect customers from all types of potential scams:
• PG&E will not ask for personal information or a credit card number over the phone. Anyone who has received such a phone call and provided credit card or checking account information should report it immediately to the credit card company or bank and law enforcement.
• Customers with concerns about the legitimacy of a call about a past due bill, service request or request for personal information are encouraged to call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.
• Customers should always ask to see identification before allowing anyone claiming to be a PG&E representative inside their home. PG&E employees always carry their identification and are willing to show it to you.
Anyone who has received one of these scam calls can report it by calling 1-800-743-5000 or, CLICK HERE.