CHICO, Calif. - Utility company PG&E plans to shut off power to nearly all of Paradise tonight for upgrades to a substation.
Action News Now reporter Kristian Lopez was live in Paradise to speak to some residents about their plan.
They plan to shut power off from midnight tonight for about two hours. PG&E says its shutting power off so crews can make upgrades to a substation. They will install more guards to prevent birds and animals from contacting high voltage equipment which can cause power outages.
Most people said they're well prepared for the shut-off. Paradise resident Casandra Sherwood said, "we have a generator that runs our entire house, my mother is on oxygen 24/7 so we can't afford for her not to have power."
Resident Glenn Nevers said, "we have a 3,000-gallon water tank, have a generator, gas backup, we have propane on hand."
Crews also plan on doing some light maintenance work on high voltage equipment. PG&E says the early morning time was chosen so it would have the least impact on people.
The blackout will affect nearly four thousand homes and businesses.
- PG&E planned power outage
- PG&E planned power outage for Paradise
- PG&E Investigates Power Outage in North Chico
- Preparing for potential PG&E power outages
- UPDATED: PG&E power outages currently in Corning and Yuba City
- Tehama County: Anger Grows Over PG&E Power Outages
- Mystery PG&E power outage impacted 2,000 Chico residents
- Chico considers a curfew for future PG&E power outages
- School closures in response to PG&E power outages
- CEO says PG&E got complacent about power outages