Horses, hikers and bikers in Oroville won't be sharing park trails...for now.
The state water resources department shared a proposal with Action News Now on Friday that would temporarily allow open park trails around the Oroville spillway area for multi-use.
That means that horse riders would share the trail with bikers, bikers with hikers, and so on. But, as you can imagine, not everyone is happy about the plan.
Several months back, the mountain biking community, we're told, began a conversation to temporarily open trails designated for horses, to also include bikers. At today's meeting held by the Oroville recreation advisory committee or ORAC, we're told that this idea was approved by the Oroville committee back in June.
But locals representing horse riders continued to disagree with the decision, saying, they're worried for their safety.
The State Department of Water Resources tells me that the ORAC-approved plan to temporarily open the trails for multi-use, along with information provided by an attorney representing the equestrian group, is under review by FERC. That's short for federal energy regulatory commission.
FERC's decision, we're told, could take at least 6 months.
All this waiting and back and forth discussion could be for nothing. Should construction related to the Oroville spillway finish, all the biking trails would open back up, and there wouldn't be a need to change anything.
But, we're told, construction won't likely finish, till the summer of 2019.
- Oroville Park Trails Dispute At Standstill
- Nation's busiest airport at a standstill
- Oroville residents learn about 'Park Watch' app
- Residents React to Dirty Parks in Oroville
- Police: Parking dispute leads to stabbing, car into crowd
- Weekend hikers enjoy newly reopened trails in upper Bidwell Park
- Traffic at a Standstill After a Reported Head-On Crash at Hwy 32
- CHP: Upper Ridge Traffic in Butte County at Standstill Wednesday Afternoon
- Many still angry at state of Riverbend Park in Oroville
- Oroville skate park honors life of Adam Krater